The Nairobi National Park is Nairobi’s key attraction. It is the only park in the world within the boundaries of a city. So within minutes of landing at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, you can be able see wonderful animal such as these lions below.
In fact only if you were very careful, you would see some of these animals way before you landed! Airplanes coming in to land at the Jomo Kenyatta International airport fly over the park.
Attractions at the Nairobi National Park
You will be amazed at how much you will be able to see within the boundaries of a city. There is so much to see and do here. And the best part of it is that the Nairobi National Park gives you a glimpse of what to expect when go to other safari destinations in Kenya. This is what to expect at the park.
- You will be able see four the big five that is the Lion, Rhino, Leopard and the Buffalo with the exception of the Elephant.
- Enjoy abundant bird life within the park. There are literally hundreds of bird species here. If you are a bird watcher, you will find a bird’s paradise here.
- Seeing the Nairobi skyscrapers in the background, reminds you are within the boundaries of the city, at attraction on its own.
- There are large numbers of herbivorous here too. Wildebeests, Zebras, Buffalos and Eland roam these plains and always followed by predators such as the Lion, Cheetah, Hyena and the Leopard.
- There are several picnic sites too with accommodation. If you love the outdoors in the wild, you will find the best sites within the Nairobi National Park.
- The Rhino, which is an endangered species, has its nursery here, with a sanctuary for breeding and restocking other parks all over Kenya.
- There are also nature walking trails, one of the famous is at Hippo pools.
- Nearby are the Nairobi Animal Orphanage, Nairobi Safari Walk and Bomas of Kenya.
The best time to visit the park
During the summer months; that is between June and August, hundreds of visitors flock into the park. Usually it is not rainy. Statistics show that these are the best months to visit the park. Safaris are usually either early within the day or late in the evening. This is the best time to see the animals for they tend to rest and sleep during the day. Remember that the African Savannah can really be hot during the day.
If you are planning a trip to the park, then you can be assured that you can see animals in there natural habitats within the boundaries of a city.
Entry fee and modes of payment
So how much will visiting the Nairobi National Park take you back? The table below shows the applicable rates at the park for citizens, Residents and Non-Residents. Note that you can pay via VISA, MPESA or Deposit directly into Kenya Wildlife Service bank accounts.
Getting to Nairobi National Park
- By road from the city centre, it is located to the south, 20 km away off Langata Road just past the Langatta Barracks.
- You too can fly in via Jomo Kenyatta International Airport or the Wilson Airport which is close by.
The Nairobi National park is jewel like no other. And if you want to enjoy the wild that is Africa, it all begins here. It is this park that makes Nairobi the world safari capital, where the African wild begins.
Phone: 020-2423423, 020-2587435
Nairobi National Park,
P.O. Box 42076-00100,
After you are done with the Nairobi National Park, you can proceed to nearby attractions. These include but not limited to;
If you like this page please share it with family, friends and colleagues.